Are you passionate about celebrating Latino culture, nature, building community and social media? Latino Outdoors is looking for an intern who has a strong passion for all of it!
The Latino Outdoors Social Media Internship is an exciting and crucial role in building our community and defining the identity behind the work of connecting culture, community, and leadership to nature, conservation, and the outdoors. In this role you will help the National Director manage the team’s digital representations of outings, events, and activities, strategize around clear and unified branding for LO across all digital platforms, train any team members on how to use digital accounts, and provide online campaigns and weekly content that gains grassroots followers, promotes our identity, attracts funding, and diversifies the conservation/outdoor movement.
This position is yours to own and refine based on LO’s mission & goal, but you must be able to seamlessly manage our current platforms and have a knack for capturing an audience with images, hashtags, and video. Must have solid knowledge and understanding of social media tools, practices, and strategies.
- Oversee and engage on social media platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook, and grow following on Snapchat, Pinterest, Vine, and other aforementioned channels.
- Track analytics weekly to report on the progress of campaigns and engagement on a monthly basis
- Train team members to contribute to Instagram and Facebook strategies, improve current campaigns (#ShoutoutSunday reposts, designated hashtags, LO Trailblazer Spotlights, etc.) and develop new ones.
- Manage social content linked to campaign strategy and message
- Coordinate social media messaging with staff and LO Ambassadors
This is a non-paid position but suitable for college credit, and it associates you with a growing positive brand and community—as well as various professional development opportunities.
Candidates should enjoy working independently, at a computer with high expectations for both the quality and timeliness of work, while still being a team player and being able to take direction in accordance with overall mission and goals of the organization. In addition, candidates should have the following:
- Passionate about outdoor experiences and a connection to nature
- 10-15 hours a week, 6-9 month commitment. Must be able to work remotely but meet with National Director 4 hours a week to stay in touch with the current goals and strategies.
- Passion, interest, and experience in digital media efforts and/or political/advocacy communications
- Strict attention to detail of message and message discipline across multiple platforms
- Strong ability to balance urgency with discipline—gets the message right every time even under a time limit
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- An understanding of the role of communications in achieving advocacy goals and change
- In keeping with the work, candidates must be able to work moderately irregular hours when/as needed
Desired but not required:
- Bilingual speaker (Spanish) reader and writer a plus.
- Experience in an environmental, outdoors, or conservation field is a plus
- Experience in media relations or related field is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to the outdoors, Latino communities, grassroots advocacy, positive and non-violent communication and messaging, and a good balance of personal versus organization-oriented branding
- Passionate about continuing to strengthen the bond and association between Latinos and the outdoors
- Profile on LO website as a leader
- Develop personal social media presence in association with Latino Outdoors
- Opportunity for equipment and clothing from sponsors
- Opportunity for professional development trainings, workshops, conference invitations, and high-profile professional connections
- Access to Latino Outdoors email account and other resources
- Strong resume builder and references
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter describing your interest in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org.